Most people’s New Year resolutions include joining the gym and kicking out that extra weight.
However, the struggle can be painful and time-consuming that some people even decide to quit altogether.
Losing weight is not just about a solid exercise regimen, healthy eating, or taking nutritional supplements.
In fact, there’s no shortcut to cutting that extra pound.
Thankfully, there’s a new-kid-on-the-block that has powerful medical properties to help out with your weight-loss plan – essential oils!
All over the world essential oils are popularly known for their healing and therapeutic properties.
They can be extracted from seeds, roots, bark, leaves, flowers, or even fruits.
So whether you want to fight those constant cravings, fatigue, low moods, or sluggish metabolism, essential oils should be your go-to option.
To help you out, here are the 5 best essential oils for weight loss and rejuvenation.
Let’s get started!
1. Peppermint oil
For centuries now, peppermint oil has been known to be a popular remedy for indigestion, especially when mixed with caraway oil.
This combination is good for relaxing stomach muscles and decreasing bloating.
In addition, the cooling medicinal compound (menthol) in peppermint oil can influence your neurosensory perceptions, hence changing how you taste and smell food.
This prevents food cravings, especially for sugary foods, hence helping you curb overeating.
You can use peppermint oil via the following ways:
• Drinking – Just add one or two drops to your regular glass of water.
Make sure you do this before meals as it acts as an appetite suppressant.
• Inhaling – You can directly inhale peppermint oil by taking a deep whiff from a peppermint oil cotton-Soaked ball or directly from the bottle.
You can also do this right before eating to prevent overeating.
• Diffuse – You can add a few drops to your diffuser.
This will help you get energized and motivated for your routine workout.
2. Grapefruit oil
Consuming grapefruit essential oil is the surest way of activating your body enzymes responsible for breaking down the brown body fat.
In fact, eating grapefruits is well known to help with weight loss.
That aside, grapefruit essential oil is extracted from grapefruit peel, which is rich in compounds such as D-limonene.
This compound promotes weight loss as well as being useful in the treatment of other ailments such as cancer and bronchitis.
When small amounts of this oil are applied to the skin, it becomes an excellent lymphatic and diuretic stimulant.
This is the main reason why you’ll find it included in most cellulite creams and blends.
A mixture with patchouli oil is also good for lowering cravings and hunger.
Here’s how to use grapefruit oil:
• Massage it onto your chest, temples, or wrists in case cravings strike
• Drinking – Add one or two drops to your drinking water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
This routine can increase fat-loss, improve metabolism, and detoxify the body.
• Inhaling – As soon as you have a sudden craving, just inhale this oil either from a cotton ball or directly from the bottle.
• Diffuse – Add a few drops to your diffuser to curb cravings.
You want to refrain from that late-night snacking, right?
Well, there you go!
3. Lemon oil
One thing that all the essential oils in this list have in common is reducing hunger and cravings.
To begin with, lemon oil has the D-limonene compound just like grapefruit oil.
This compound is popular for its fat burning properties.
When it comes to its mood-boosting properties, this essential oil will not only make you feel happier but also increase your overall energy levels.
Its common sense that if you’re happy, you’ll definitely move more, thus shedding off a few pounds much faster.
It doesn’t stop there.
This essential oil also has excellent pain-relieving properties when used for massage.
It can also greatly reduce cellulite appearance.
Use it with either grapefruit or peppermint oil for the best results.
Here’s how you can use lemon essential oil:
• Drinking – Mix one or two drops with a glass of water and drink it in the morning to help with detoxification and digestion.
• Massage – Blend it with moringa oil or coconut oil and massage it on spots with cellulite build-up.
• Inhaling – You can inhale it from a cotton ball or directly from the bottle to curb food cravings.
4. Cinnamon oil
This is arguably the best essential oil you can get out there to support your weight-loss journey.
With that being said, cinnamon oil will help you balance blood sugar levels and curb cravings.
When you have unstable blood sugar levels, you might become prone to overeating, and the end result is none other than increased weight.
Another thing with unstable blood sugar levels is low energy, hence you can’t exercise properly.
All said and done, using cinnamon oil will help you reverse these issues and, as an added bonus, it reduces the risk of contracting heart disease and inflammation.
This is because it can also act as a cardio-protective agent.
You can use cinnamon essential oil in different ways, including:
• Drinking – Add one or two drops to a cup of tea with raw honey.
Do this before meals or when you get those annoying late-night cravings.
• Inhaling – You can sniff it directly from the bottle or use a cotton ball before meals to prevent overeating and boost your overall mood.
• Diffuse – Add a few drops to your diffuser to curb cravings.
You might also end up liking how your house smells.
• Massaging – Mix a few drops with a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba oil and massage it on your chest and wrists.
5. Ginger oil
Ginger essential oil has many benefits apart from just helping you lose weight.
It can help reduce inflammation as well as support digestion and absorption of vital nutrients.
It does this effectively thanks to the compound called gingerols.
In short, ginger oil will help you lose weight by helping your body absorb all the nutrients needed to boost your overall energy levels.
It’s also an effective suppressant of cortisol hormone which can interfere with your body’s metabolism.
So if you’re struggling with belly fat, the ginger essential oil is your solution.
Here’s how to use ginger essential oil:
• Drinking – Add one or two drops to warm water glass.
Add in some fresh lemon juice as well as raw honey.
• Inhaling – You can directly inhale its spicy aroma from the bottle.
Drawing a proper weight-loss plan is very important for you to get back in shape.
You have to eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, and as we’ve discussed, use some of these essential oils.
However, your doctor should have the last say on the kind of essential oil to use, since your body might react differently to some of them.